Monday, September 28, 2009

Windows 98 Guest VM Additions on Windows 7

On Windows 7, Microsoft has decided that anything older than XP should just go die, and has removed support for floppy drive emulation, and VM Additions for anything that old as well.

Assuming you found a bootable Windows 98 CD, or had a VHD sitting around, you might have tried to get VM Additions like in VPC2k7. You will quickly find that it's unsupported, and even if you install instmsia.exe and then run the MSI directly, you will get nowhere.

I have found a workaround! On my laptop, I run XP and have Virtual PC 2007 (laptop doesn't support virtualization, and new VPC on Win7 requires it, so that's why). I grabbed a copy of the VM Additions ISO from the VPC2k7 folder on there, and mounted it in my 98 VM on my Windows 7 PC. It worked flawlessly.

Enjoy your unsupported, yet somehow fully functional legacy VM. ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment